Friday, May 18, 2012

Bronze Serpent

Upon seeing this post some may fall into a state of shock after thinking for so long that I must be dead :). I could give a whole bunch of excuses of why I haven't been writing (i.e.. "I've been too busy"), but in reality I have actually just been a lazy writer. After looking through my past posts I began to miss recording and noting things in my web log, so here is the first of (hopefully) many.
   I was reading this morning in Numbers chapter 21 about when the Israelites "spoke against God and against Moses" because there was no food or water. This situation is seen a lot; the people rebelling and looking back to the false refuge of Egypt, and forgetting God's past and present deeds. For example, they did not think about how God had just supplied them with the miraculous waters of Maribah. One need not imagine the Lord's frustration towards the people's lack of faith, as he promptly disciplined them by sending "fiery serpents" among them. However, an interesting thing about this incident is that the Lord provided a succor in the form of their oppression. All the people needed to do was look at a bronze serpent that God directed Moses to erect on a pole, and they were healed. Such a simple alteration of a mortal problem. Millions today are in the same boat. Christ, also raised on a pole (cross), has given every sinner (all of us) a chance of healing and forgiveness from our mortal problem (the penalty of sin). Just as with the bronze serpent, one need only to look to Christ as his only salvation and Lord, and he will be saved (Romans 10:9). So let us mull on this truth for a little while, and perhaps you will realize sinner what deliverance is yours, and realize Christian what news you have to bring! Are you going to sit still and leave your savior upraised? That is what we were created to do. And remember, I am totally speaking to myself as I am anybody. I have realized how inadequately we have worshiped and dissipated the name of our Savior, and I hope that this post will be the means of conviction to someone, somewhere, as it was for me.
~ Hunter Hardwick

No comments: